Thursday, August 25, 2011

So long, farewell...

Today is my last day in NC. Well, assuming the hurricane doesn't wreck my flight plans. I think it'll probably all work out fine. Any ideas for what I should do on my last day? I thought of getting souvenirs from North Carolina as if I've lived here for months and I need to show off to people what it's like to have been where I've been. But I don't really know what souvenir represents my experience here. Should I bring home a jar of mist and say it's the humidity? Have some? Also, when you're in a place like this I don't know where you find shops for souvenirs. Maybe I should just go to the Bass Pro Shop. I've passed it a couple times in my travels and it looks HUGE from the outside. In fact I think there's something about "world" in the sign. Like "Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World" or something. Anyway the sheer size makes me think maybe it's indicative of what life is like out here; lots of outdoorsy stuff - hunting, fishing, buying nifty camping gear. Actually as I'm thinking about it maybe I really WILL go over there today. Except I bet the place is full of dead animals. Nevermind, I probably won't go over there.

Today is my last day of going on set. So far my set experience has been good. Except it was a little embarrassing last night when I was leaving and talking to my dad I was mentioning how (judging on the scene I had just been watching) it was a good thing they had such good actors because it's a lot more likely this movie is actually going to be good. Only to have my dad turn around and say hello to Woody Harrelson who had been walking right behind us. He said he didn't hear me though so I think I'm in the clear. ....Then again he's an actor so maybe he was faking the whole "I don't eavesdrop" thing.

And first on the agenda today (well third - behind breakfast and showering) will be packing (more like re-packing) my suitcase. It's big enough it does look like I've been here for a month. But no, it's just been a matter of days. Or weeks. Whatever. I hate re-packing. And I hate unpacking. But packing for the first time - like when you're getting ready to go somewhere - doesn't bother me. Re-packing to go home is like work. You have to take everything out, re-fold stuff, figure out how to separate the dirty clothes from tainting the clean ones, fit in souvenirs, etc. What a pain!

Oh well, I still say the trip was worth any re-packing that has to be done. I'll be sad to leave my dad behind but I don't feel too bad for him - just a couple more weeks and then he's done and gets to go to the BYU game in Texas with the rest of the men in the family (there aren't that many of them but it's still a minor miracle that they're all in on this trip). All in all, you've been hot and humid, but good to me North Carolina. Maybe I'll see you again around Thanksgiving.

No comments: