Wednesday, August 24, 2011

U.S. National Whitewater Center

As I mentioned before, we went on a few athletic adventures while in NC. The first of which was to go whitewater rafting. I had to sit that one out since my hands and feet were still so sensitive to cold that being in the water would make them feel like they were being stabbed. I don't know for certain, but I'm fairly positive that would make for an unpleasant rafting trip. Dropped oars, grimace faces, howling in pain - that sort of thing. Maybe even screams of "don't let it touch me! don't let it touch me!!" I can only imagine the carnage. Anyway I decided to be the photographer. I only have a point and shoot camera so I do what I can but I make no promises.

So far so good....




You may not be able to tell but that's the family raft there in that rapid. That's right before mom and Delaney were ousted. And Bryn was practically a goner though she was saved by her brother after (according to sources in the boat) a look of "is anyone going to stop this from happening?!"



And here we see that the raft didn't quite make it after a different rapid. Everybody out! Floating down in front we have most members of my family. To the right we have a perfectly fine raft laughing at our family's misfortune.



We also took on some rock climbing. Of course I sat this one out too but not because my hands or feet are sensitive. Mostly because I have no muscles and would not be able to pull my body up any sort of wall. Even a ladder is sketchy. Lets not get into walls that jut out parallel to the ground. No thank you.

The boys navigating the hard wall

We also indulged in a little zip lining. I took part in this activity. After all, sitting in a sling and zipping over rafters and other bits of nature is just up my alley.

Looking good pre-helmets.


You may be asking "why did she put on a baby's helmet?" She didn't. That's a regular adult helmet. Her head is just that big.


I guess it's just a family thing: large heads that make our helmets look ridiculous. Not so for the in-laws: their helmets actually fit over the portion of their head they're supposed to. Nice job in-laws. Give those grandkids a fighting chance.

There was also some more calm still water kayaking. Again, hands and feet kept me lounging in the sun by the dock.

Sure they all look like friends now but you'd better believe there was a mud war.


Sometimes an oar just doesn't do the trick and you want to paddle with your hands for maximum efficiency. ...I mean, that's probably what Hannah's doing here.....


Done for the day.

1 comment:

BBC said...

wow. your family is so much cooler than mine! i've always wanted to go whitewater rafting!