Saturday, August 16, 2008

Saturday is a special day

It's the day we get ready for Sunday.

Saturday is cleaning day. I had no appreciation for cleaning day as a child as it seemed strikingly similar to school days only with more physical labor and less recess, but now, as an adult (of sorts) I can appreciate cleaning day. I can appreciate why my mother would feel embarrassed if people came over and the house wasn't clean. That doesn't mean I like cleaning day any more than I ever did. I don't really. Cleaning is pretty low on the list of things I want to do on my day off from work. But having a clean apartment is pretty high on the list of things I want. It's hard to reconcile those two.

So I spent this morning brainstorming on how to get a clean apartment without doing any of the cleaning myself. I drew a couple diagrams and mapped out pros and cons of different options, but in the end it became clear to me that the most cost efficient thing to do was for me to just clean my place up myself. Naturally, having reached that conclusion, I threw the diagrams on the ground and decided I would attend to them later.

Now I'm at stage two of cleaning day (stage one having been the dedicated brainstorming session for alternative cleaning methods). Stage two is mental preparation. Now that I know how the day is going to go I have to get in the zone to do it. So far my mental preparation has involved shuffling some papers on my desk to make room for my computer, checking me email, deleting old texts, and deciding what background noise I want as I clean. Movie? Or music? Toughie.

Stage three is the actual cleaning. I'm not quite there yet. I'm still in the midst of stage two. Which, now that I think about it, is just avoidance. And kind of acceptance. ....Wait....What are the stages of grief again? I feel like this is all sounding kind of familiar.....
Whatever, I'm too lazy to look it up. But I know the avoidance is serious when I consider going on a run first.

Sigh. Time to clean.

3 comments:

mastermind said...

Hmmm Jorge. Your offer is intriguing. But before I accept perhaps I should put a translator on my own page so I can fully appreciate (and arduously admire) the value of your post here. In the meantime, high-five from Christmas Island.

Kelly said...

Yah. You better get cleaning. I've seen the job chart in our apartment. And you're it, sista'.

Aria said...

Sounds like my kind of cleaning routine. Except instead of step 3 being the actual cleaning, my step 3 repeats step 1 and 2.

Jorge, can I get a hug from Argentina?