Friday, March 11, 2011

Free Month

Sorry, it's been awhile. I blame it in part on feeling really down and out (enough so that my phone would ring right next to my arm and it still felt like too much effort to move my hand to pick it up and see who was calling), part on jury duty, and then part on partying hard now that I'm feeling better! It's the perfect storm of excuses. Eh?

The good news is I finished my radiation and chemo! Yay! Well, I mean finished until after surgery when it starts up again. But still. A month or so off is music to my little ears. I'm starting to feel much better already. Not quite to my most chipper self yet, but sooo much better than before. So I guess that means it's the perfect time to get a colonoscopy! Because that would just be silly to leave discomfort behind COMPLETELY. So Tuesday I'm going in. The doctors just want to make SURE sure that there aren't any other concerns in the rest of my colon. You know - polyps or whatnot hiding out. Anyway, Monday will be a fun filled day in which I do that whole clear liquid diet thing and then down some lovely tasting bowel prep stuff to clean me out. But I hear that by Tuesday night (after the procedure is over) I'll feel fit as a fiddle again.

The last couple weeks of radiation and chemo were rough. I felt so sick that I mostly laid there like a slug on a rug and only sat up when forced to eat or to go to a doctor's appointment. This made me concerned because I had jury duty my last week of radiation ("boost" week - where they up the radiation and focus in on the tumor) and I wasn't sure if I'd be very good at sitting there and judging someone. But it all worked out just fine. Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, I had MORE energy during boost week than I'd had the week before. So I was able to sit in the courtroom and judge to my heart's content. And the end result? I voted to let a convicted felon go free. But when I say it like that it sounds bad. He really was not guilty. Of this crime. Anyway, it really was amazing that I did as well as I did during the very last week of radiation. I'm grateful!

And since I've been out of the way of those beams and off my chemical pills, life has gotten much more pleasant! I even exercised yesterday! Of course it was rather pathetic, but it felt good to be moving around again. I'm trying to ease myself in to getting ready to snowboard. :) If I can make it work I want to go at least once before I have to have surgery and I'm down and out again! But I'm finding it's hard to figure out when I can get to Utah (where the snow is much better) for longer than a couple days what with the appointments and scans and whatnot I have this month. Still. Where there's a will there's a way.

For now I'm enjoying my relative good health! And I hope you all are too. (Enjoying your own health...you don't have to be enjoying mine).

2 comments:

BBC said...

mehgan! really? jury duty? you are definitely wonder woman! :)

also, have fun in your colonoscopy! two of my coworkers had it recently and they both said that their favorite and least favorite part was when they had to fart out loud before the dr.'s would let them go home. :) ha ha... hope you continue to feel better! i miss you!

Haley said...

Oh happy day! Enjoy! SDLY